Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Notifiblog: National Guitar Month

Master of timing that I am, I just learned April is National Guitar Month (US) when the month is nearly over.  Ah well, this is a good time to look at three types of guitars!

Wow!  I always thought Les Paul invented the electric guitar.  No siree: it was invented in 1931.

There is a specific Flamenco guitar, which is different from the Classical and Parlor guitar styles.  The fiery Andalusian art is a blend of singing, guitar, dancing, and hand claps.  One of my two aunts studied flamenco and could have gone professional...but she declined for several reasons.  But she could work those castanets!

A Harp guitar is a combination guitar and harp.  I've seen two artists playing the harp guitar in concert:  Stephen Bennett and fellow Oregon-denizen John Doan.  Both are very nice people who are dedicated to sharing music.

Extra:  Check this article on the Pedal steel guitar.  It doesn't fit the idea I get in my mind when someone says, "guitar."  But it IS that sound I think of when someone says, "Hawai`i."

Enjoy some music today!

No comments:

Post a Comment