Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Notifiblog: Fight Songs That Rock (to me, anyway)

I love having a job.  I also happen to love the job I have presently.  Some days, though, I feel like I need a few "prepare for battle" songs to get my day started.  An opera has an overture.  A movie has its theme song.  I have my warm-up songs!

Today, we'll think about three of them, in the style of Notifiblog!
This is War by 30 Seconds to Mars has been my favorite, so far.  IMHO, the Winterhawks' intro video is better than the "official" one.  It's also more SFW than the official one.  Flashing lights alert:  There are lots of visual flashes in the video.  I'm surprised no one complained or had a seizure.​  I hope.

One song that actually sounds more like a mid-70s pre-disco tune is called "Kessen no Kinyoubi" (loosely interpreted, I think it means "Friday Showdown") by J-pop band Dreams Come True.  The horn and bass line reminds me of Earth, Wind & Fire.  It's actually a song about a girl who is throwing off all caution to let a boy know she really likes him and won't be denied his attention.  (More Brass in Pocket than stalker.)  They don't play this one at hockey games.  Though I think they should!

No hockey game is really complete for me if there isn't at least one good hockey fight.  You may be surprised by this, but I'm not going to suggest Beastie Boys' "(You Gotta) Fight for Your Right (to Party)."  I think Sarah Brightman's song written to celebrate a boxer's retirement is better.  "A Question of Honour" gets the blood going.  The version I have on my mp3 player is a little bouncier than the linked video.

Hey, World...let's do this!

No comments:

Post a Comment