Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Notifiblog: Vernal Equinox

The lyrics by the inimitable math professor and musical humorist Tom Lehrer float in my mind today...
Spring is here, a-suh-puh-ring is here.
Life is skittles and life is beer.
I think the loveliest time of the year
Is the spring! I do - Don't you? 'Course you do.
but there's one thing that makes spring complete for me
and makes every Sunday a treat for me...

(SING IT WITH ME!)
...All the world seems in tune
On a spring afternoon
When we're poisoning pigeons in the park ...


Of course, one can't stop at that charming ditty!  One or two choruses of The Elements (to the tune of Gilbert & Sullivan's Major-General's Song from The Pirates of Penzance) seem in order, too.​

And, while we're singing into Spring, why not visit Tom Lehrer's New Math, which is built around subtracting 173 from 342 in decimal and octal.  The tagline of the song is, "It's so simple, so very simple, that only a child can do it."

There are more...but some of them verge on NSFW.  Maybe you've heard that tango piece?
Happy Spring!  I'm headed to a park...

No comments:

Post a Comment