Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Notifiblog: There's a WHAT on my head!?

Last Friday, I was privileged to take a couple of hours off to go to the TriMet Lost and Found to retrieve The Handsome One's favorite ​item of headwear.  He inadvertently left it on a bus.  The replacement he bought just wasn't quite right.

I realized just from trying to describe the little hat to people, who did end up helping return it to The Handsome One's beautiful pate, we use vastly different words for the same item.  Not to mention the images that enter my twisted imagination...

My East Coast friends call it a beanie.  That makes me think of a Bob Clampett cartoon!

Portlandia-ites call it a stocking cap or knitted cap.  I've also heard it called a watch cap.  The Handsome One's hat does, in fact, have the folded cuff bit.  Watch cap makes me think of Tock, the watchdog from The Phantom Tollbooth.  (Awesome book I think every family should read.)

The Handsome One and I, who were both raised by rogue Canadians, call it a toque!  (Please find a Canadian to pronounce it for you, if you don't already know!)

In any event, I ended up standing under a bus shelter for about half an hour in a cold, windy rain because I arrived just as the Lost and Found people went on break.  But in the end...MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!  The little black Winterhawks toque is back where it belongs:  keeping The Handsome One's head warm.   It was so worth the cold toes!

No comments:

Post a Comment