Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Notifiblog: Oh, the mysteries I could solve...

Yesterday, whilst using the company intranet to do my (temporary, sob-sob) job, I noticed several places where the company logo for TriMet appeared.  Little TriMet roses appeared on tab screen headings.  They appeared in one of my Favorites files--but only next to links to internal documents and intranet pages.  Strange, eh!

My first concern was that there was an ethics violation--unintended, of course.  (One of my favorite things this company does better than any I've ever worked for is ETHICS.)  I emailed the one person I knew could direct me to the right people.  She also is the hiring manager for the job I want, but we didn't e-talk about that.

So, after raising a red flag, I decided to do what little I have access to do:  I cleared my browser cache.  That restored the proper icons, but I'm NOT satisfied.  How did that happen?  I wonder if there's a naming convention collision.  I can't find out until I get access to the deep, inner workings of SharePoint, however.  Which brings me, finally, to today's Notifiblog topic: solving mysteries.

My Mum and Grandmother used to read mystery novels by the armloads.  (Mum still reads; Grandmother, not so much.)  This just learned:  they actually preferred the detective fiction subgenre.

Agatha Christie's Miss Marple was a staple.  Dame Margaret Rutherford portrayed Miss Marple on film during the 1960s.

Children do like to imitate the adults in their lives.  I thought I was really grow-up when I began reading all the Encyclopdia Brown books I could find at our local Library.

One of the most fun series I read (at Mum's recommendation) were the Judge Dee stories by Robert van Gulik.  Van Gulik was a sinophile who wrote his own stories based on a real Chinese detective novel he translated.  The judge in the detective novel was, in turn, based on a real Chinese magistrate, Dí Rénjié.

Let's solve some mysteries today!

No comments:

Post a Comment