Monday, June 3, 2013

Notifiblog: Let's Walk!

Today begins the "Summer Games" challenge at work.  It's a fun, slightly competitive way to raise one's awareness of the benefits of walking.  For a few weeks each year, we form teams of 10-12 coworkers, give our teams fun names based on a theme (this year's theme is "Monopoly"), and do our best to wear pedometers and pile on the steps!

I've broken the little plastic belt clips on so many pedometers, this year I'm trying an iPhone App called "Accupedo."  (I'm using the "free" version.) Thus far, I'm pretty pleased with it:  I can put my phone in "standby" mode and it continues to work in the background.  The only thing I haven't tested so far is battery use.  Tomorrow I must remember to bring my charging cord.

A nice little summary on WiseGeek.org explains how a pedometer works.

Do you like music to encourage you?  I do. 128 bpm apparently is best for running or dancing.  I see "walking playlists" available at 120-135 bpm.  Happily, you can buy whole playlists people have assembled--or listen to them on music apps like Spotify or Pandora.  An app called Jog.fm seems to have playlists specialized for walking, running, and cycling.

So...LET'S WALK!

No comments:

Post a Comment