Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Notifiblog: How Does Pixar Do That?!?

In the interest of transparency, I will tell you now that I am in love with Pixar movies, and it's not just because I'm in love with a second (?) cousin of the guy who runs the creativity piece of the joint. Sadly, those Lasseters are not in contact with my Lasseters, so I have to do this research the same as anyone else: Google and Wikipedia, mostly.
In just about every Pixar movie is a little rubber ball with a big, red star on it. It's an homage to the film that won John Lasseter his first Academy Award nomination, Luxo Jr.

I know it would be fab to be able to talk with the man who creates characters and animations that convey deep stories, even without words. But it would be enough for me to learn how they render that little rubber ball with a big, red star on it!

Pixar's latest short, which has been released with Monsters University, is another work of wordless brilliance, The Blue Umbrella. This short employs the latest technology in the realm of photorealism. And the detail!! Note the sign outside "The Parapluie Café." Parapluie is French for umbrella. ADORBZ!

It's just not enough for me to hear, "They use special CGI software." I want to know HOW THEY DO THAT! Please.

No comments:

Post a Comment