Monday, July 15, 2013

Notifiblog: Return of the Twinkie? Hmm...

I grew up with Hostess snack cakes. Well, sort of. They were a sometimes treat, which is probably what made them so...treat-y. However, it wasn't 'til this weekend, when I was having a tweety conversation with a lady in the UK that I realized we had some dodgy names for our snacks! I had a laugh.
The conversation started quite innocently with a mutual friend's thoughts of having breakfast delivered while he was up very early with his toddler. I thought having a breakfast delivered from the UK to MY house (half the world away) would be a lovely idea. But I was willing to let the others have my black pudding. (Hint: ew!) The other early riser (it was 7AM their time, 11 PM ours) wanted to donate her black pudding to the toddler's dad, too. I told her we'd give him our black puddings and we could have Twinkies! She apparently had a huge laugh at the dodgy-sounding suggestion.

It just went downhill from there. I spent my childhood consuming Twinkies, (gulp) Ding Dongs, and (oh dear) Ho Hos. I'd never thought of it that way!

I loved her reply: "#FILTH" To which I had to respond, "If you think the names are bad, you should see what they do to people's arteries."

Indeed, #FILTH!

In the spirit of transparency, protecting my health is not the primary reason I will avoid partaking of the Twinkies, Ding Dongs, Ho-Hos and Donettes phenomena: Hostess Brands (now known as "Old HB") killed over 18 thousand jobs and blamed a bakers' strike. Not entirely true. J2 does not like that kind of business...what's the opposite of ethic?

No comments:

Post a Comment